Friday, May 14, 2010

freak out friday!

I went to www.babiesrus for the first time, I'd picked up gifts from them before but I'd never been in to peruse the aisles for myself.
WHooooooh scary is not the word, there is so much choice I didn't know where to start I wanted to get a list of thing I need and a rough price to create a budget and to see what kind of stuff I could get from there and what I would have to research from the Internet or independent boutiques. - any advice welcome x

I stood stunned for a while then one of the staff saw my face and gave me a gift list book which has a recommended needs list for the baby.

So I began my list with prices and noting the names of the brands I like better than others, but then I got to BREAST PUMPS a scary concept in itself pumping ones breast with a machine- a staffer talked to me again and said was I going to breastfeed?
(erm I'm English those things are private - along with - please don't ask me if I'm planning a vaginal birth (said in american way 'vadge enn nal' awful word) - none of your business lady!)
The one she recommended as the best was $300+ for a breast pump and you have all these accessories to buy too, freezer bags who knew? microwave cleaning bags, list goes one......
I did not have that down on my list as a big purchase, that's more than the car seats - surely that's not right safety equipment cheaper that a yellow breast pump - with cute carry bag and microwave cleaning pouches eeeeek it almost made me want to run out.
Thankfully friends have calmed me down and have recommended battery powered one that's under $100 and because I'm not working full time I wont need one that much! phew I thought breastfeeding was supposed to be cheaper more convenient.

note to oneself be prepared I was a girl guide for goodness sake I should have done my homework then I wouldn't have been floored in the breast pump aisle! the rest of babiesrus went by in a blur after that will need to revisit! That's scary in itself!

R x

1 comment:

  1. You got my email. I never bought a crib, breast pump, changing table, I think its all a bunch of things you can live with out but again it depends on your life style and why not wait till you "need" it, then go pick it out. I had a swing for Tiago but had him try them out in the store before i bought one, and i returned 89 days later and got all my money back, lol! I know im cheap but when you move as often as I do, i had too.
    -h

    ReplyDelete